100 sponsored holes for hospital ‘home away from home’
A marathon golf day added to thousands of pounds raised for a charity which provides accommodation for families of children undergoing hospital treatment.
The event, which took place at Studley Wood Golf Club in Oxfordshire, saw two golfers from the club take on the challenge of playing 100 holes in a single day to raise money for Ronald McDonald House Oxford.
The event took place on Thursday 21 June and was completed by club Captain Nigel Blanchard and Vice Captain Paul Fitzgerald. They started at 05.30am and played for a full 13 hours through wind, rain and just the odd glimpse of sunshine.
Their efforts raised around £1,500 in sponsorship which was added to the funds raised on Saturday 16th at the annual Captains’ Day where 180 club members enjoyed a whole day of golf, topped off with dinner and an auction. Nigel was hugely assisted by Jacky Wilson, The Ladies Captain and between them they were responsible for much of the organisation of the fundraising day and a record £10,800 raised.
Ronald McDonald House Oxford is an 18 bedroom House which provides free ‘home away from home’ accommodation for families whose children are being treated at Oxford Children’s Hospital. This amount covers the cost of keeping one family room open for a whole year. The Oxford House is one of 15 Ronald McDonald Houses in the UK that enable seriously ill children to have their families close by when they are undergoing treatment in hospital.
Event organiser and club Captain, Nigel said:
“As club Captain, Ronald McDonald House Oxford is my chosen charity for 2012 and I aim to raise as much as I can for the House over the course of the year. The idea of playing 100 holes of golf in a day was to try and do something a bit different and capture the imagination of potential sponsors. It was exhausting but great fun and the money raised will be going to a much needed local cause.”
Golfers interested in supporting Ronald McDonald House Charities can register for the Charity’s annual Leisure Classic event, which takes place at the Hilton Vilamoura Cascata Resort in Portugal from Sunday 16 to Wednesday 19 September 2012. Participants will play two days of golf on the fantastic Vale de Lobo Golf Estate, incorporating the world renowned Ocean and Royal Golf Courses.
~ ends ~
For more information please contact:
Ronald McDonald House Charities
Notes to editors:
About Ronald McDonald House Oxford
1. Ronald McDonald House Oxford is located on the top floor of the Oxford Children’s Hospital at John Radcliffe Hospital. The House has 18 bedrooms as well as a kitchen, lounge and playroom.
2. Oxford Children’s Hospital offers many regional and supra-regional specialist services and is the home to one of only four paediatric craniofacial services in the UK with children and their families travelling from as far as Sheffield and Devon.
About Ronald McDonald House Charities
3. Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) is an independent charity which provides free ‘home away from home’ accommodation at hospitals and hospices across the UK. It enables seriously ill children to have their families close by when they are undergoing treatment and allows them to maintain a degree of normal family life.
4. Since 1989 the Charity has opened 15 Ronald McDonald Houses which, together with over 25 sets of Ronald McDonald Family Rooms, provide more than 450 bedrooms to families every night of the year.
5. The Charity relies on the generosity of supporters and fundraisers, including McDonald’s customers, without whom it would be unable to continue its work.